ANNOUNCEMENT (posted March 20, 2004):
There will be an extra showing of Jean Cocteau's
Orphee on MONDAY evening, 8-10 pm, in STV 101. Spread the word!
Writing Assignment for Thursday March 18:
Answer the following questions in a way that shows
that you BOTH read the chapter on Orpheus AND watched the video in today's
class. Four or five sentences should suffice for each answer.
1. How does Orpheus' death in the video compare to
his death as told in classical literature?
2. How does Orpheus convince Death to give back Eurydice? In the book? in
3. Explain the power of music in this drama (Orpheus' mastery of it as well
as his abandonment of it).
4. Does the relationship between Hades and Persephone in the video surprise
you (keep in mind that this response must be tempered by what you have read
of the couple in classical literature)?
5. Consider the path Orpheus takes going in and going out of the Underworld.
Does the layout of the underworld conform to the plan described by Er and
Aeneid 6 in the
Underworld Chapter (rivers, pathway, palace, ferryman)?
Typed, double-spaced, EDITED and PROOFREAD!
DUE: May be handed in on Thursday or next
All Rights Reserved
send comments to: Janice Siegel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
date this page was edited last:
of this page: